Sunday, August 08, 2004

The Mod Squad

Where would the video game world be nowadays without the wonder that is Mods. Independant patches and levels are one of the best parts of some of the newer multiplayerr capable games, and I for one salute anyone who is willing to take the time to program a level or campaign for their favourite game, and share it for free on the net.

On that note, I've recently picked up Doom 3. Great game (though Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 will likely be a wee bit better) but alot of people have complained about how DARK the game is. I'm not talking thematically here, I mean visually, the levels have such poor lighting that you can't see anything. I'd spent so much time trying to switch between my flashlight and my guns that I'd begun killing things with my flashlight.

Then I found the Duct-Tape Mod. Now the game is better. Basically, this mod duct-tapes a flashlight to your shotgun and your machine gun, so that you can see and be armed at the same time! I highly recommend it to anyone seriously trying to get through Doom 3 without using the cheat codes.

Speaking of Mods, I may as well also throw up a link to my favourite Neverwinter Nights mod. It was written, scripted, ect, by Stephen "Twoflower" Gagne (who, if you're a geek like me, also writes some very high quality anime fan-fiction). The name of the module is Penultima, and it is a comical romp through a wacky fantasy setting. I highly recommend it to anyone with a sense of humour, and a love of fantasy spoofs.

2F's other Neverwinter mod, Elegia Eternum is also worth checking out, if you have a morbid love of psychological horror.

So there's my Sunday update. I'm uncertain I'm going to keep doing weekend updates, but I'll definately try to post something at least once a weekday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home